Saturday, October 8, 2016

Lesson 3: Fantasy World Dioramas


For the third lesson in this class I had the students make dioramas of their fantasy world. I started out the lesson by explaining what a diorama was and the materials I had available for them to use. I then showed the students some diorama work from as artist Tanaka Tatsuya, who makes diorama’s using everyday materials along with little sculptural pieces. After seeing everything the students were eager to get started so I handed them all pieces of air dry clay along with paint and told them they could grab ay extra material they wanted from the stuff I had available at the front of the table. Some students started out by sculpting the clay and others ran up to the front of the table and started grabbing the different fabric I had available for them to use. The rest of the class period was spent with all the students creating their own little pieces and backgrounds for their diorama and I was constantly walking around helping them cut materials, glue pieces on, create little structures, and just overall helping them think up ne ideas for things to build in their dioramas. The students really seemed to enjoy this project and the activity pretty much went to the end of the class. There was one student who finished early but I helped her to make a house for her diorama until the end of class. All in all I think this lesson was very successful and my students loved it! The one thing I think might make this lesson difficult to teach is if there were more kids in the class because I was constantly having to help the students with cutting, gluing, and building things. However for my sized class (5 students today) it was perfect and it’s definitely a project I would do again!





No comments:

Post a Comment